Quick tips to improve your Board's Cyber Security Awareness
Boards of directors have a legal responsibility to protect their corporations against Business Risk, in particular, safeguarding assets and shareholder value. However, sometimes if you are a CISO, it is a challenge to communicate your priorities to the board. We provide you here with some quick tips to ensure your board knows more about cybersecurity and how to act upon it.
- Encourage your board to focus on risks, not on security. Speak the language of the board, which is the risk terminology
- Provide context and comparison. Your board would naturally like to benchmark their performance against the industry. What is the norm? Are we doing well? How much is it reasonable to spend?
- Develop KPIS and storytelling. Again, whatever KPIs are right for your company, make them relevant to risk.
- Change how we think about Cyber. In the same way that sometimes you feel ill, sometimes you do get breached. It will happen, eventually, so you will need to prepare a remediation plan and move forward. You would not go without health insurance- isn’t it?
- Change how you talk about cyber. Speak the language of the board, we couldn’t reiterate more. The board is concerned about price to earnings ratios, new product launches etc. Make sure you relate to these concepts when you put forward things like budgets requests.
- Ensure there is a comprehensive data protection policy, and that your incident response plans are tested
- Ensure the board is engaged in cybersecurity. This demonstrates how the board is meeting its duties
- Put resources in place and make sure you provision for things like cyberinsurance.
- Use the news headlines as teachable moments for the board audience. ‘’It could have been us’’.
Understanding cybersecurity is no small task. If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us for a chat.
Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation/certification explained
The article dives deep into what Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation/certification is, the requirements for the certification, cost and the process to achieve it.More
IASMECyber Essentials questionnaire
Read or Download the IASME Cyber Essentials Questionnaire pdf copy here. The questionnaire has different sections laid out for all the controls as well as providing the preparation advice.More
What is the process for Cyber Essentials Plus Certification?
Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation involves the auditing of your IT systems. Read the article to know what exactly is involved in the process.More
What exactly is involved in Cyber Essentials Plus audit?
Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation involves the auditing of your IT systems. Read the article to know what exactly is involved in he audit process.More
FOR LATEST UPDATES SUBSCRIBE HERE: