Fake Invoice Email Scams and Office 365
WATCH VIDEO HERE
The fake invoice scam has been impacting an unbelievable amount of businesses lately costing £000’s every day.
Every other day there is a business hit with this type of attack and losing money to the bad guys. There are two ways this can happen. Either the attacker is impersonating one of your colleague or a supplier. The second way is your colleague’s or supplier’s email account got compromised. When the email account gets compromised they create a custom rule to forward all the emails from a certain sender to another email outside the organisation so that the recipient never sees them. In both cases, the attacker requests the funds to be transferred into a different bank than the normal bank. How to combat this?
First and foremost is the business process. Whenever there is a request to transfer funds to a new bank the sender should verify the bank details by calling the recipient. The simple and effective process would save millions of pounds to many UK businesses. We are assuming you are using Office 365 and a few other Office 365 technical measures that can help the recipient end are:
- Warn users of the external emails
- Create alerts when the forwarding rules are created
- Enforce 2-factor authentication
- Enable Anti-spoofing
- Educate your employees
These measures may sound rudimentary but there is a surprisingly large number of businesses that don’t have these in place and been a victim of this scam.
It is also a really good idea to consider going through the Cyber Essentials Certification that will ensure you have basic security controls in place before this happens to you.
We don't want this happening to your business. If you need any further help please reach out.
- Why is Cyber Essentials Important?
- TechForce Cyber COVID-19 assistance
- Protecting your Work From Home Workforce
- Risks of staying with Windows 7
- The Essential Cyber Hygiene for your business
- How to implement a SIEM
- Why do you need a SIEM?
- Deadline for the Cyber Essentials Voucher
- New Year cyber security recommendations
- How to uncover network vulnerabilities
- Protecting your identity online
- What is a VPN and why do you need one?
- Quick tips to improve your board’s cybersecurity
- Password Management Software
- How to make of your employees the best line of cyber defence against cyberattacks
- Congratulations to the Techforce Sponsorship winners
- Certificate management processes
- What is Phishing and what can you do to prevent it?
- Found malware, now what do you do?
- Data breaches and other scary 2019 events- Special Halloween post
- How to get your cyber security budget approved by the board
- The TechForce Sponsorships
- How to start a career in the security industry
- Protecting your business in the cyber security era
- Secure Your Supply Chain
- Case study: British Airways Fined £183.4million for Data Breach
- The Silver Bullet in Cyber Security
- Is it a good idea to build your own Security Awareness Training platform?
- How to apply for the Cyber Essentials Voucher Scheme
- 5 things to consider when selecting a Security Awareness Training (SAT) platform
- 2 Years, Marmite and £600,000
- What is Business Email Compromise (BEC) and how to stop it
- Cyber Essentials Demystified
- How to choose a Security Awareness Platform
- How to pick the best Antivirus software for your business
- 6 Quick and Easy Email Security Tips for Dummies
- How to carry out a baseline email phishing test
- Hackers On Tour
- How to share passwords safely in your Small Business
- In the news - Warning. North Sea firms likely already attacked
- 10 Steps to Cyber Security
- 5 Reasons why you should consider having two monitors
- What is Email phishing & why you need security awareness training in your business
- 6 Top Tips to Prevent Cyber Attacks
- How to choose the best IT Service Provider for your business
- How to choose the best Antivirus software for your business
Why is Cyber Essentials Important?
More often than not customers ask us the question ‘Why is Cyber Essentials important?’ or ‘Why do we need Cyber Essentials Certification?’More
TechForce Cyber COVID-19 assistance
We are facing one of the biggest challenges we have ever seen. COVID19 sweeping the country. At TechForce, we are trying to do our bit to help.More
Protecting your Work From Home Workforce
There has been an increasing number of businesses asking their staff to work from home to avoid spreading of COVID-19.More
Risks of staying with Windows 7
Windows 7 effectively expired for everyone in January 2020, so now that it’s February are you still running Windows 7?More
FOR LATEST UPDATES SUBSCRIBE HERE: