How to apply for the Cyber Essentials Voucher Scheme
The Scottish Government is very aware of the threat Cyber Attacks have and is encouraging businesses to go through Cyber Essentials certification. In its attempt to help more businesses to achieve the certification the government introduced £500,000 funding pot for businesses in November 2018 and offering up to a £1,000 voucher per business. As long as you meet the criteria below it’s a straightforward process to claim the voucher.
If you are not sure what Cyber Essentials is or why you need it, head over to our blog post ‘Everything you need to know about Cyber Essentials’ to find out more.
The criteria to be eligible for the voucher:
- You are a Small to Medium Enterprise based in Scotland
- You have a SC registration number
- You have IT infrastructure with an Internet connection
- Must currently be trading
- You don’t have an existing Cyber Essentials or Cyber Essentials Plus certification
You need to tick all the boxes above. Then the next step is to apply for the voucher.
The Application process
The funding is being distributed by Scottish Enterprise. Here are the steps involved:
- You will need to register your interest for the voucher on Scottish Enterprise website here.
- Scottish Enterprise will then send you an application form. You can also get in touch with us for the application form. We can send you a copy.
- Choose your certification consultant/provider and get a quotation from them.
- Fill in the application form with the relevant details and send it back to Scottish Enterprise. It’s a short form.
- Scottish Enterprise will then get back to you with a decision on approval of the voucher.
- You go ahead with the certification, pay for it and send the proof of payment along with the Claim form to Scottish Enterprise.
- You will get paid up to £1000 (ex VAT) in one single transaction.
3rd Sector Organisations are also eligible. However, 3rd Sector Organisation applications will be handled by the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO) following an alternative application process. Further information can be found on this link.
Please note the voucher is not available for renewals. This grant scheme is only available for new applicants only.
Is voucher available for both Cyber Essentials and Plus certifications?
Yes. The voucher is available for both and the first £1000 can be claimed.
Which Cyber Essentials Certification should you consider?
Our recommendation is to always go for Cyber Essentials Plus. It will ensure that you have controls in place, verify them and test them. It is definitely worth the extra investment.
For more information and FAQs please refer to our ‘'Everything you need to know about Cyber Essentials’ blog post.
I hope that’s helpful. Do get in touch if you are planning to achieve Cyber Essentials or Plus certification. We are Approved Cyber Essentials Practitioner and listed on the SBRC website so we can provide you with the advice to guide you through the process so you pass first time.
IASMECyber Essentials questionnaire
Read or Download the IASME Cyber Essentials Questionnaire pdf copy here. The questionnaire has different sections laid out for all the controls as well as providing the preparation advice.More
What is the process for Cyber Essentials Plus Certification?
Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation involves the auditing of your IT systems. Read the article to know what exactly is involved in the process.More
What exactly is involved in Cyber Essentials Plus audit?
Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation involves the auditing of your IT systems. Read the article to know what exactly is involved in he audit process.More
Cyber Essentials most frequently asked questions
Cyber Essentials is a Government-backed, industry-supported certification and run by National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC). Here are the Cyber Essentials scheme most frequently asked questio...More
FOR LATEST UPDATES SUBSCRIBE HERE: